SISTERHOOD SPOTLIGHTS ILLUMINATE LOCAL GIRLS WHO INSPIRE
By SisterHood Scribe: Gretchen Johnson | Needham Mom
- Two 6th grade girls from the Park School in Brookline are on a mission. For the past two years, Amanda He and Sopha Cukras have been petitioning Dunkin Donuts to ban plastic straws.
- Inspired by some powerful statistics learned in Science class, such as: "Americans use an average of 500 million straws a day,” Amanda and Sophia joined their school’s Earth Club and began to take action!
- With support from www.change.org, the girls have rallied close to 170,000 people to sign their petition! “The more support we get the better, and the more we pressure Dunkin’ Donuts to make a change, the more they will actually feel that they have to ban plastic straws,” Sophia said, in an interview with Boston.com.
- While learning more about this effort, we came across an image of reusable Dunkin straws on Amazon! Apparently, these “self-proclaimed green girls” are beginning to make a major impact on the environment already! “Even a kid can make a difference,” Amanda said, in an interview with change.org.
- Amanda and Sophia, thank you for inspiring 1000's of people to make our precious Earth cleaner (and safer!).
- To sign the girls’ petition click here.